If you have found yourself injured or are experiencing another dental emergency, it is important to know how to handle the situation until you are able to make it to your dentist. Here are some examples of dental emergencies as well as 7 important emergency dental tips from your dentist in Ingleside, Texas.
Below are some common dental emergencies:
- A broken tooth (usually due to blunt-force trauma)
- Dental infection
- Serious or severe toothache
- Lost tooth
- Lost filling or crown
7 Important Dental Tips
In order to ensure that the emergency situation is handled as best as possible, here are some important emergency dental tips:
- Remain calm. This is most important; a level head and calm approach will ensure that you are able to think clearly and approach the situation as best as you can.
- Call your Ingleside dentist immediately. He or she will provide you with instructions on how to best manage the situation prior to your arrival at the office.
- Keep the area as clean as possible to prevent infection from forming. If possible, rinse with warm water (bonus if you can rinse with warm salt water) to keep the area clean.
- If there is bleeding present, ensure that you are applying pressure to the area to encourage the bleeding to stop.
- If you have lost a tooth, it is crucial to keep the tooth wet. This increases the chance of the tooth being able to be placed back into the mouth and restored. Place it in a glass of milk or water, inside a wet paper towel, or if possible, place it back inside the original socket in the mouth.
- If blunt-force trauma has occurred, apply an ice-pack to discourage swelling and to help ease the pain.
- If possible, have another person drive you to the dentist. If an injury to the mouth has occurred, there is always the possibility of a head injury or trauma.
For more information about our Plam Tree Dental – Emergency Dental Care in Ingleside, Tx, give us a call at (361) 238-4460.